OHSAS 18001 sets out a preventative and proactive approach which involves identifying workplace hazards and assessing and controlling risk.
Key elements health and safety OHSAS 18001
Some of the essential elements of the Standard include:
* Developing OH&S policy
* Implementing policy and plans
* Checking for problems and taking corrective action
* Reviewing management processes
* Sustaining continual improvement.
The benefits of health and safety OHSAS 18001
Organizations certified to the Standard report a range of benefits, including:
* A reduction in lost working days
* Fewer workplace accidents
* Fewer medical claims
* Recognition by insurers and regulators
* A more disciplined approach to safety
* Improved employee motivation, retention and satisfaction
* Reduced legal costs
* Less time and money spent on accident-related investigation and paperwork.